Monday, January 30, 2012

It's not you. It's me.


I've been trying hard to not complain too much about people's behavior while driving, riding and walking/running.  I just kinda want to do my own thing and do it safely.  This morning's commute bears a bit of discussion.

There's a small section of my commute which has me making a right turn with no stop sign, followed by 2 stop signs, left turn at the second stop, then a turn signal at an intersection where I go straight across.  All of this is within about 100 yards of each other.  

I made the first right turn in front of an SUV who had to stop at a stop sign.  Mr. SUV did not appreciate me making the turn ahead of him.  He tried to pass me twice by driving on the left side of the double yellow line.  Both times he met oncoming traffic, which honked at him for driving on the wrong side of the road.  He ran both stop signs without appearing to slow at all.  He still was unable to pass me before the signal.  He drove on the sidewalk in order to get around me patiently waiting for the red light to turn green.  He ran the red light and yelled obscenities at me while doing so.  (Yes.  I called and reported him.)

It is good to know that I am the problem... not him.  ;)

Before we go off into a whole cars versus bikes thing, I'd like to add that I experienced similar behavior exhibited by cyclists and pedestrians/runners this weekend, though not near as blatant.  

Everyone appears to be more important than me.  They are more important than being safe, polite or legal.  

Be safe out there!

Pete

1 comment:

  1. My wife and I have definitely noticed this since moving to the area a few months ago.

    Although we haven't driven in the area yet, when someone else is driving we have to remind them that the rule in DC is "where ever you're going, your destination is more important than everyone else." With that in mind, the erratic traffic and illegal parking make sense (including parking in the 15th st cycletrack by churchgoers and various other people).

    I was on my bike downtown, pulling up to a yellow/red light in the left turn lane and someone decided they couldn't wait, crossed the yellow line, passed me on the left, and turn left through a red light narrowly avoiding pedestrians getting ready to cross. I don't think it was aimed at me, he had been driving aggressively for a few blocks before I got in front of him.

    ReplyDelete